The Link Collections of the Binghamton University Libraries include papers and books donated by Edwin A. Link, his wife Marion Clayton Link, the Link Foundation and Hughes Training, Inc. The original donation of Edwin Link's papers was made in 1975. Marion Link's papers were donated in 1993, materials from Hughes were donated in 1996, and papers from the Link Foundation were donated in 1997. Altogether the collections include approximately 24,000-25,000 items and total approximately 64 linear feet. A brief description of each of the collections follows.
The Edwin A. Link papers include approximately 21,000 items, dating from 1939 until his death in 1981, with the bulk of the materials being concentrated between 1940 and 1970. Among the materials are photographs, records and correspondence having to do with the various Link enterprises; charts and maps; legal documents; journals, reports and speeches. Some 120 books, dealing primarily with aviation and navigation, were also donated from the Links' personal reference library.
The Marion Clayton Link papers comprise approximately 1,000 items, including journals and many manuscripts of her articles and books. Because the Links worked as a team, many of her achievements are also chronicled with his in the Edwin Link collection. The Marion Link collection represents her chiefly as a writer and journalist.
The Link Foundation papers include approximately 2,000 items and cover the years from 1954, when the Foundation was created, into the early 1990's. They pertain to the business of the Foundation: for example, grants and fellowships awarded, financial statements, and minutes of meetings.
The Link-Hughes collection is still being processed. It consists of approximately 600-800 items--correspondence, newspaper clippings, awards, booklets, drawings--dating back to the early 1940's and having to do with the development and history of the Link enterprises. It provides an excellent addition to materials in the original Edwin Link collection. Complementary collections of Link materials were donated by the Links to the Roberson Museum and Science Center in Binghamton, New York; the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, Florida; and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
The Binghamton University Link Collections are housed in the Special Collections and Archives of the Binghamton University Libraries. Access to the collections is by appointment and during posted hours when classes are in session. Inquiries may be addressed to:
Binghamton, NY 13902-6012
Phone: (607) 777-4844
FAX: (607) 777-4848
E-mail: Beth Kilmarx